Disneyland worker set off an earlier explosion, prosecutors say
Los Angeles Times | May 30, 2013 | 11:08 AM
A 22-year-old Disneyland employee set off two separate dry-ice explosions at the theme park, prosecutors alleged today.
One of explosions -- inside a trash can -- was reported Tuesday around 5 p.m. and forced the evacuation of Toontown for two hours while police and a bomb squad moved through the amusement park.
Prosecutors today said there had been another explosion about an hour earlier. Christian Barnes of Long Beach was charged today in Orange County Superior Court with a felony count of possession of a destructive device in a public place. He faces six years in state prison if convicted.
For the latest information go to www.latimes.com.
An explosion went off in the Toontown area of Disneyland in Anaheim, California earlier tonight. Police arrived on the scene and evacuated the immediate area. The L.A. Times reports that the explosion involved dry ice in a plastic bottle, but as of yet there are no known injuries, according to local authorities.
A 22-year-old Disneyland employee was arrested late Tuesday night with a dry ice explosion that forced the theme park to be evacuated, KNBC-TV reported on Wednesday.
Christian Barnes, who works as an outdoor vendor at the park, is being held on $1 million bail and charged with possession of a destructive device after police in Anaheim, California apprehended him.
“At this point, we don’t know it was on purpose or by accident or accidentally thrown away,” a department spokesperson told the station.
The Los Angeles Times reported Wednesday morning that the park was closed for two hours after the explosion, which occurred around 5:30 p.m. local time on Tuesday. No injuries were reported. Police said on Tuesday that the dry ice was inside a plastic bottle put in a trashcan in the “Mickey’s Toontown” section of the park.