In a major engagement near the Demilitarized Zone, some 1,500 North Vietnamese attack the 500-man South Vietnamese garrison at Fire Base Fuller. Despite U.S. B-52 raids dropping 60 tons of bombs on June 21 and a 1,000-man reinforcement on June 24, the South Vietnamese had to abandon the base since a North Vietnamese bombardment had destroyed 80 percent of their bunkers.

Fuller / Dong Ha Mountain today/Artillery was on right hand side where your father was killed.

In an attempt to clear the surrounding area of enemy mortar and rocket sites, South Vietnamese forces swept the region on June 25. On June 28, a Saigon spokesman announced that 120 South Vietnamese had reoccupied Fire Base Fuller, but would not rebuild the fortifications.

Casualty figures were reported at nearly 500 North Vietnamese dead, with 135 wounded and 1 AMERICAN FRANK MAKI.

On July 1, fighting again flared up around the base, as 300 communists were pushed back with the help of U.S. and South Vietnamese air power and with 150 additional South Vietnamese troops.

Bob Evans has left a new comment on your post "Vietnam 1968-1971":

Kim, Our families were close back then as my Dad and yours served together. My son and daughter are visiting the wall this evening and are going to find your dad's name. My dad speaks so well about your dad to this day. Please give our best to your mom and sister from our family.

Award of The Silver Star

For gallantry in action: Major Maki distinguished himself by gallantry in action on 20 - 22 June 1971 while serving as Senior Advisor to the 1st Battalion, 2d Regiment, 1st Infantry Division, Army of the Republic of Vietnam at Fire Support Base Fuller in Quang Tri Province.

Major Maki heroically participated in the defenses of Fire Support Base Fuller by accompanying and assisting his Vietnamese counterpart against the North Vietnamese Army thrust. After more than two continuous days of intensive direct and indirect fire and ground attacks, the NVA managed to breech the defenses.

Major Maki then directed many tactical air strikes and aerial rocket artillery against the enemy. During this time he continued to reappraise the tactical situation, adjust supporting fires and coordinate medical aid to the wounded Vietnamese soldiers.

Though he had been sixty hours without rest, he continued to assist his counterparts up until the moment he was mortally wounded by an enemy artillery round. His extraordinary example of leadership and valiant courage radiated throughout the Fire Support Base and inspired the Vietnamese to repulse the enemy attack. Major Maki's conspicuous gallantry in action was in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Army and reflects great credit upon himself and the military service. read more here  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I spend some time on fuller then back while flying door gunner on CH47C Chinooks resupplying fuller and bringing in the big radar for tracking incoming rounds. I have a web site (below) that has pictures and a couple stories from a major that was on fuller when we brought in the radar unit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...