Detroit Dragway opened in 1959 in the middle of a farm area in a rural city about 25 miles south of Detroit. It was instantly a hit with crowds filling the bleachers or milling around the pits. The close, friendly atmosphere became a family for many and a perfect opportunity to try out new automotive creations in racing and finally a legal place to do it.
Before the strip opened, competition for the fastest car would take place in that same area's back roads and at the time, another popular place to race was Woodward Avenue. This gallery, from the original negatives taken by Professional Sports Photographer, Joe Stevens