The State Theater presents John Waters Film Series
The delightfully disgusting retrospective begins in October
Ann Arbor’s State Theatre is proud to present the film retrospective: Yours Truly, John Waters, a three-month celebration of the cult director’s most iconic features. In keeping with the legendary John Water’s career aesthetic, Senior Programmer Brian Hunter curated ten films that trend towards taboo and debauchery with playful sincerity. The series runs from October 7 to December 9, every Wednesday at 7 PM.
Waters, well known for breaking boundaries, writes films that revel in the world of bad taste. His first feature Pink Flamingos (1972) is considered one of the greatest gross-out movies of all time. The commercial success of Hairspray (1988) and films that followed solidified him as one of the greatest underground directors in American film history.
Fiercely independent, all of his films are shot on location in his hometown of Baltimore, Maryland. Water’s early films featured a regular group of local friends turned actors, one of them being international drag queen icon, Divine, who Waters called his “close friend and fearless muse.”
The one film in the series not directed by Waters, I Am Divine, is a documentary about the life and career of Divine, aka Harris Glenn Milstead. I Am Divine won the 2013 Cinetopia International Film Festival Audience Award.
In addition to film-making, Waters has published a number of books and screenplays, including the New York Times bestsellers Role Models (2010) and Carsick (2014), and has shown his photographs and sculptures in galleries throughout the world.
Regular ticket prices apply for the films and tickets can be purchased online at michtheater.org or at the box office.
Yours Truly, John Waters:
· Wednesday, October 7 at 7:00 pm - Pink Flamingos (1972)
· Wednesday, October 14 at 7:00 pm - Female Trouble (1974)
· Wednesday, October 21 at 7:00 pm - Desperate Living (1977)
· Wednesday, October 28 at 7:00pm - Polyester (1981)
· Wednesday, November 5 at 7:00pm - Hairspray (1988)
· Wednesday, November 11 at 7:00pm - I Am Divine (2014)
· Wednesday, November 18 at 7:00pm - Cry Baby (1990)
· Wednesday November 25 at 7:00pm - Serial Mom (1994)
· Wednesday, December 2 at 7:00pm - Pecker (1998)
· Wednesday, December 9 at 7:00 pm - Cecil B. Demented (2000)